Innovation & Entrepreneur MBA (12 months or 3.3 years)
Get involved in the changing global economy
Have you always wanted to start your own business or work for a start-up? This unique entrepreneurship MBA stream offered at Laurier is designed for innovative individuals like yourself. Students will proceed through predetermined benchmarks in the program while being able to create a real enterprise for course credit in their MBA degree.
You will receive mentorship from a distinct group of community partners, service providers, network of Laurier Alumni entrepreneurs, and world-renowned faculty. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work at the Communitech Hub, which is an incubator for entrepreneurs and start-up businesses. You will network and brainstorm with other like-minded, talented, and hard-working individuals in this program.
Benefits of the Innovation & Entrepreneurship option
- The only program in Canada where you can launch your own business and earn your MBA degree at the same time
- Receive mentorship and support from credible experienced entrepreneurs and faculty from various backgrounds
- Have the opportunity to work at the Communitech Hub, an incubator for successful start-ups and entrepreneurs
- Practical business skills are taught with a hands-on approach
- Opportunities to receive funding for your start-up*
Program Length: 12 months to 3.3 years (varies depending on chosen Waterloo format)
Term 1 & Integrated Core: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. & 4:30 p.m.
Term 2 & 3 & Elective courses offered 8:30 a.m. & 9:50 p.m.
Starts in September, classes two nights a week from 7 p.m. & 9:50 p.m.
Admission Requirements: Domestic applicant | International applicant
Admission Requirements for Domestic Applicants
- A four year undergraduate degree or equivalent in any discipline from a recognized university with a minimum B standing (73%) in the final year of university study, or most recent 10 half credit university degree courses.
- Evidence of strong quantitative skills, normally by the successful completion of the GMAT test with a score of 550 or higher. The GMAT is mandatory for all students who have completed their previous degrees outside of Canada.
- Letters of reference. Normally one academic reference and two professional, or all three professional with more than five years of work experience.
- Applicants whose language of instruction during the undergraduate degree was other than English must furnish evidence of proficiency in English prior to admission. A minimum score of 573 paper-based, 100 internet-based (with minimum skills scores of 21 in each of the four skills sets), on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or its equivalent is required.
- At least two years of full-time work experience.
Admission Requirements for International Applicants
*International applicants include all applicants that have obtained a previous undergraduate or Masters Degree outside of Canada.
- Education equivalent to a Canadian four-year Undergraduate Degree, with a minimum B average (73% or G.P.A. of 8.0) in the last 10 half credit courses completed. Co-op applicants are required to have a B+ average (77% or G.P.A. of 9.0)
- Work experience
- Full-time MBA: A minimum of two (2) years full-time work experience or six (6) Co-op work terms. Part-time and summer employment between university terms do not apply.
- Full-time MBA with Co-op: No work experience is required. The maximum for co-op is two (2) years of full-time work experience, no exceptions.
- One year International MBA: A minimums of three (3) years full-time work experience. Part-time and summer employment between university terms do not apply.
- A minimum score of 550 on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The GMAT is mandatory for all students who have achieved their undergraduate degree outside of Canada. The GMAT is also mandatory for all students applying to the MBA with Co-op Option. We require a minimum score of 600 or better for Co-op candidates.
- For students whose degrees were conferred by a non-English language institution, TOEFL (minimum 573/230), or IELTS (minimum 7), or MELAB (minimum 90) or CAEL (minimum 70) results are mandatory requirements.
- Three (3) letters of reference. If the applicant’s degree is less than five years old, one academic and two professional references are required. If the degree is more than five years old, all three references may be professional. For the Co-op option, candidates may submit all three academic references, or two academic and one professional.
For more details please contact:
MBA Recruitment & Marketing Coordinator
School of Business & Economics (SBE)
WILFRID LAURIER UNIVERSITY
P: 519-884-0710 ext. 3499
For more information, visit the Schlegel Centre for Entrepreneurship & Social Innovation website.